Japchae by Song Cooks
What you will need:
- Your favourite knife
- a cutting board
- Paper towels (just in case)
- Wok or large pan
- Strainer to strain noodles
- Medium to large pot to boil the noodles
- Stir frying utensil of your choice (Silicone spatulas, wooden spoon or chopsticks could work)
- Large mixing bowl
- Gloves or tongs for tossing food
Step 1 - Cook Your Ingredients:
- Boil water in medium to large pot
- Place noodles in boiling water. Don’t worry if they stick out at first. As they soften they will submerge (after about a minute).
- Stir occasionally, especially making sure no noodles are sticking to the pot.
- After approx. 10 minutes, test a noodle to make sure they’re cooked to the core. If not, boil for a little longer.
- If it’s chewy and not too firm to the bite, then remove from water by carefully pouring the contents of the pot into a strainer (either in the sink or over another pot).
- Set your wok or pan to medium to high heat.
- Add a small amount of cooking oil of your preference
- Add garlic to cook slightly
- Add cut vegetables, a pinch of salt, and japchae sauce to wok/pan.
- Stir fry until vegetables are cooked (softened, about 5 - 7 minutes)
- (optional) add cooked meat to stir fry.
- Set aside all items into a big bowl.
Step 2 - Mixing and Plating:
WARNING: Ingredients may still be hot. Check temperature before touching with hands to avoid injury
- Add the noodles to the mixing bowl
- Add more sauce (from the second container) onto the noodles.
- With your hands, mix the sauce into the noodles until they seem more even in colour (light brown). The noodles will turn less transparent (to a grey colour) as they cool.
- When the noodles seem fairly even in colour, mix in all the ingredients.
- Drizzle in sesame oil, and mix some more.
- (non-vegan) Add black pepper, more salt, sauce or sweetener to taste.
- Serve on plate.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds
If you wish to add extra vegetables or meat:
- Wash and pat dry all ingredients
- Cut all vegetables, about 3 inches (6 cm) long. Set aside.
- (non-veganl) Stir fry meat or proteins, seasoning with salt. Set aside.