Ja Jang Myun (짜장면) - Noodles in Black Bean Sauce | Meal Kit
Ja Jang Myun by Song Cooks
Total estimated cooking time: 15 mins (mostly waiting for water to boil, and plating)
Cooking the noodles:
- Large pot, on strongest burner, add 2 litres of water.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Carefully place noodles into boiling water.
- Gently stir once or twice to prevent noodles from clumping together
- When water comes to a boil again, add a cup of cold water.
- Let boil for another 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully using a colander or strainer, remove noodles from boiling water. Note: best not to throw out the hot water.
- Using the strainer, rinse the noodles in cold water. You can use running water from the tap, or have a large pot of cold water waiting.
- To reheat noodles, keep noodles in strainer. Then either put hot water over the noodles or dip it in the hot water in the strainer.
Heating the sauce by microwave:
- Put sauce into microwaveable container.
- Heat for 2 minutes
- Heat again for 1-2 minutes and it’s ready to eat.
Heating sauce by stovetop:
- Place sauce in a small sauce pan.
- Heat sauce on med heat, stirring occasionally (to prevent the bottom from burning).
- When sauce has reached desired temperature, remove from heat.
- Find your preferred plate or bowl.
- Place noodles on or in preferred plate or bowl. Tongs or chopsticks work best.
- Add warmed sauce to noodles
- Garnish with cucumber or radish. Or live a little on the savoury side and try some chopped scallions (not included).
- Mix noodles before eating. Cut noodles as needed. Remember to have napkins handy.
Try having a bite of the radish with your jajangmyun. The contrasting flavours and textures are quite fun.